Sunday, March 6, 2011

Life Doesn't Fit Into a Day Planner

Whew........what a month!  I can't believe it's been over a month since I've been here!  Many things have happened and many things didn't happen.  First, my husband had knee surgery, which was good, but painful, and has kept him out of commission all month.  Second, planting the 'taters didn't happen in January, nor did it happen in February. 
Third, a truck backed into my car at a red light and smashed the bumper and buckled the hood.  The insurance company deemed my car totaled, which I don't understand because I'm still driving it!   We found out that though the insurance company would not pay to have my "totaled" car fixed, they accessed the value of my "old, well-traveled" car, and offered us a very small payoff to buy our car and junk it.  This meant we would have to purchase another car and have car payments.
What did happen in the past month was my Etsy shop picked up.  I've been so busy making buttons and digital collage sheets that I haven't had time to be in here, which actually is a good thing that happened.  Another good thing that happened was that thanks to our son and daughter, their dad had the help he needed while I was at work, and the 'taters did get planted the first of March.  Finally, we found out (after several phone calls) that the insurance company would purchase our damaged car, then turn around and "sell" it back to us.  They would charge us the amount that they would have gotten at the salvage yard, subtract that amount from the amount they originally offered us, and send us the balance (which will end up being more costly for the insurance company than if they had just fixed it in the first place).  Now all we have to do is reapply for our own title and with the remaining money, have our "totaled" car fixed locally, which will actually leave us a small bonus!  And we wonder why insurance costs have risen. 
Now, as the azaleas are beginning to burst into bloom,  the grass is greening up, the potatoes are snug in their growing beds, and my husband is on the mend, we can breathe a little easier, give thanks to God for our many blessings,  and begin to focus on the rest of the gardens and the coming of spring.  We have already been blessed with warmer, sunnier days, bringing an anticipation of outside activities, growing vegetables, running barefoot on the beach, and swimming.  Okay, I' stretching it.  Still a while before we dive in, but nice to look forward to. 
As I dream and plan for the warmer activities, we still have spurts of cold weather, wind, and rain, reminding me that life doesn't always go along with my plans.  With that said, I am reminded of what  Paul said in Philippians 4:8:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things." 

So as I think about the past month and all the things that did not go as I had planned, I am reminded of all the good things and the blessings that God did put into our lives.  My husband came through the surgery without major problems.  The Lord gave him the strength to endure the pain, even when the medication was not enough, and he is now on the road to recovery with a new knee and renewed strength.  Our children stepped up to help when needed in every way, bringing our family closer together.  And my car will be fixed with a nice piece of change left over. 
As I read through Philippians, I was also reminded of another truth that helps us when things don't go quite as planned.  In Philippians 4:12, Paul teaches us the secret of contentment:
"I know what is it to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength." 
So in whatever state we find ourselves, we can remember to look for the blessings and know God will give us the strength we need.  All we need do is lean on God and carry on....sounds like a button in the making...

4 comments:

  1. Sounds busy and crazy, but blessed as well. Isn't it amazing when we finally slow down how happy we are to see all that was accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweetheart, I have been wondering what you have been up too and when I last checked your blog, you had not been on for awhile. You have had quite the month!!!
    I am happy that etsy has picked up for you. Very happy your hubby is doing well.
    So sorry about your car, but at least no one was hurt, except the car. Glad it all worked out with the ins, although that just doesn't make any sense, but then what does now a days.
    I hope you have a great week and chat with you soon, Char

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness...I figured you were busy and I am happy you have been ! Happy too that your husband is on the mend AND that those 'taters got planted !!
    You gotta love the insurance companies, they have all the angles. they are so happy to take your money but not so eager to fulfill their part of the deal.
    (())

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over to say thank you so much for the little garden kids, and everything else! I looove them! Oh my, you sure have been tested lately, and it looks like your life is blessed and going a bit smoother now. The last paragraph you wrote says it all so beautifully, and we see it works!Oh yes, make that button! Big hugs, Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete